Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

The Saga Continues - Rotten Swine (post 3)


Date: October 2009
Age: 20

So by now I’ve left my job to go back to college, so I can go to university. Because that’s the sort of crazy, last-minute decision that I make when life isn’t already handing me enough lemons.


I take three AS levels, so that I have enough time to work alongside college. I start off working for an agency doing waitressing for hotel and banqueting facilities – most notably, the prestigious Wentworth golf club. I get to meet a few famous people through this connection –Cliff Richard held my hand and thanked me for picking up his napkin; not necessarily the best claim to fame, but a claim nonetheless...

I've finished my first year of college, and have made my university applications to Lancaster, Durham, Warwick, Bristol and Cambridge. I receive an invitation to interview for Cambridge, and an offer from Lancaster.


This is the year that swine flu was a thing. I have just recently had the swine flu inoculation. When getting ready for college one morning I realise, while brushing my hair, that my scalp has gone numb in much the same fashion as the left side of my body did earlier this year. I call and make an appointment to see my neurologist, because this might be the next relapse which will confirm the diagnosis of my MS.



When I turn up for the appointment, I find out that my neurologist is away, and there is a locum consultant covering his appointments. I explain to her the history of the problems, and explain where I've been experiencing numbness on my scalp. She does an examination, focusing on every part of my body *except* the bit which I've told her is numb... Predictably, when I receive the follow up letter from her, she explains how I'm such a nice lady, with lots of potential, and how she cannot find anything particularly wrong with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment