Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

The Saga Continues - D-Day (post 5)

Date: June 2010
Age: 20


Not long after the MRI, I have my follow-up appointment with the neurologist, who tells me that, as he suspected, my lesion-load has increased, and he confirms the diagnosis of MS. Cue several months of letters between my neurologist and another neurologist (who apparently is the one who deals with Disease Modifying Therapy, or DMT), arguing over whether I am eligible for going onto DMT, and which neurologist my care should come under. Eventually neurologist number one convinces neurologist number two that yes, I should have DMT, and that yes, he should take over my care.

By June the process of getting me put onto DMT is well under way. I even get given the choice of which drug I try! All of the available options involve me giving myself injections, with varying regularity. There are beta-interferons, which can make you feel fluey, but they are less regular - 2-3 times a week; an intra-muscular jab which frankly just sounds scary (especially considering that I saw Mum doing this jab once, and she nicked a blood vessel in her leg. Blood. Everywhere...); or Copaxone, which is an immunomodulator. I decide to go for the Copaxone, because it's a daily injection, and I think this'll be easier for me to remember than a 3x or once weekly jab. I meet my MS Nurse, who shows me how to administer my injection on a stress ball, and then eventually on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment